Happy Tuesday and – as it’s the 25th of January – happy Burns Night! The time when Scots at home and around the world celebrate the poet, Robert Burns. (He was born on 25 January, lived from 1759 to 1796) And eat haggis, usually accompanied by a wee nip of whisky (I’m not a fan of whisky so I skip that part)! When I lived and worked in Luxembourg I attended a Burn’s Supper every year – a special dinner with songs, speeches and bagpipes. If you want to know more about Burn’s Suppers, here’s the background. Just for fun, here’s a video from my archives showing how I make Haggis pie from tinned haggis plus a very Scottish dessert…
In other news, Tuesday is the day I do my menu planning! Here’s what’s on the menu this week at Casa Copenhagen. And yes, we are still working through what we have in our freezer/pantry this month. Feels good to be clearing out and saving money!
- Haggis (see above)
- Chana Masala (chickpea curry), great for using up all those tins of chickpeas in my pantry (here’s a basic recipe from the BBC website)
- spaghetti carbonara with crusty bread – a great dish when you need food in a hurry!
- leftover Massaman curry from the freezer with basmati rice and coriander (I made a double portion of Massaman curry last time and put half in the freezer)
- pork sausages in a honey/sweet chili sauce with stirfry veggies and quinoa (made in my rice cooker)
- roast beef (I have a small piece in the freezer) with homemade oven fries, béarnaise sauce and a mixed salad
- as was the case before both of our kids moved out into their own flats, one day of the week for us is usually leftovers, a frittata/quiche made with any veggies which need using up, risotto or Danish smørrebrød (rye bread open sandwiches with various toppings) or the very occasional takeaway
- one of my Instagram subscribers said she had made my stir and bake crustless pie recently – here’s the recipe! Great way to use up what is in the fridge!
Remember when planning menus to K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, Sweetie! Check what you have in your fridge, freezer and pantry before you shop. And remember when you’re planning your menu this week to plan a little bit of fun for yourself and your family!
LLAP! Hugs! Diane
Need more menu planning inspiration? See my recipes and crafts playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxIYCyTLBED8ZP5_UDGRXUAvbPiuxOh95