Happy Tuesday! We’re doing a spot of “plan and play” today…looking at our diaries to see what is coming up. Do you need to send a card, make a doctor’s appointment, fix a date for a birthday celebration, check bank statements? Tuesday is the day I write my menu plan and make our grocery list. We have a busy week coming up, Eurovision at the weekend plus yet another statutory public holiday: Denmark will be closed on Monday for Whitsun. Woo hoo, another long weekend ahead! Supermarkets are pushing lots of herring, beer and snaps for the traditional Pinsefrokost (Whitsun lunch)…
But without further ado, here’s this week’s menu at Casa Copenhagen!
- Danish biksemad which is a beef hash (fried, cubed beef, potatoes and onion – topped with a fried egg and served with ketchup or barbecue sauce and cold, pickled beetroot)
- build-your-own-burger with homemade oven fries and fresh veggies on the side
- Instant Pot risotto – so easy and fast! This is how I make it… Fry up an onion and some garlic, add about 300 grammes of Arborio rice and 850 mls of hot stock. (Sometimes I add a half cup of white wine and 750 mls of stock.) Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes, allow to stand for a couple of minutes and then do a quick pressure release. At that point I stir in fresh herbs and any ingredients which just need to be warmed through: spinach, sliced sugar snap peas, asparagus, fresh/frozen peas, leftover cooked chicken or ham, fried bacon. Serve with plenty of parmesan cheese and fresh herbs!
- pasta med kødsovs, spaghetti bolognese with a spinach salad – always a winner!
- one day of the week for us is usually leftovers, a frittata/quiche made with any veggies which need using up, risotto or Danish smørrebrød (rye bread open sandwiches with various toppings)
- the Eurovision song contest – one of my favourite things to watch on tv (so bad it’s good…) – is on tv on Saturday night so we might celebrate with a takeaway!
- and when the cupboard is almost bare, or you need some comfort food, how about some Burning Love? Brændende Kærlighed as we say in Danish!
Remember to K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, Sweetie! And don’t forget to clean up as you go along, and “close” the kitchen when you have finished eating dinner. You will thank yourself in the morning!
Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!
Need more inspiration? See my recipes and crafts playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxIYCyTLBED8ZP5_UDGRXUAvbPiuxOh95