Welcome to My Danish Christmas Advent Calendar! Join me every day in opening a new door. Once again, I’ve got a host of goodies to share with you – traditional Danish Christmas recipes, traditions, songs, games, decorations, crafts and landscapes… So sit back, relax and enjoy!
One sleep to go! It’s Tuesday morning – 23 December – which means it’s Lille Juleaften (“Little Christmas Eve”) here in Denmark. Last day of school for our kids. And the last shopping day – tomorrow all the shops in our village will be closed, and won’t reopen until Saturday. Luckily all our presents are wrapped and ready to go under the (count’ em) two trees! Yep, the trees have been brought into the house and are both decorated… 🙂
Our fridge/freezer and cupboards are bursting at the seams with supplies. So, whilst I’m having breakfast with my Scottish family, I’ve put the rice on to cook in prep for tomorrow’s traditional ris à l’amande dessert.
One of the best parts about Christmas in Denmark is all the yummy julefrokoster (lunches)…rugbrød (ryebread) with all the different toppings. Over the next few days, we’ll be tucking into this little lot:
- marinerede sild (this year’s homemade marinated herringwith egg mayo), karry sild (curried herring) and tomat sild (tomato herring)
- fiskefileter med remoulade (hot crumbed fish fillets with remoulade sauce)
- rejer (prawns) and gravad laks (smoked salmon with dill)
- varmt leverpostej med champignon og bacon (hot liverpâté with mushrooms and bacon)
- rullepølse med løgringe og sennep (rolled pork with ‘italian salad’ which is basically peas and carrot pieces mixed with mayo)
- sylte med sennep (potted meat with mustard)
- tarteletter med hønsekød og asparges (warm tart cases filled with chicken and asparagus)
- flæskesteg med rødkål (roast pork with red cabbage)
- medister med rødkål og sennep (a ’round’ pork sausage with red cabbage and mustard
- frikadeller (Danish meatballs)
- ost (cheese)
All washed down with (whats left of the) beer from the Beer Advent Calendar! Skål!
One sleep to go – the sooner you get to bed, the sooner Christmas will be here! 😉
Don’t forget to check back here tomorrow when we open the very last door!
5 thoughts on “My Danish Christmas Advent Calendar – 23 December (Lunch)”
Hi Diane, thank you for your advent blog, it has brought back many happy memories for me, I have enjoyed reading very much. You spoke about your run in the park yesterday. My son lives just a few villages up the coast from there. I just wanted to wish you and your family a very Happy Christmas.
Hi Diane !
I am from Brazil ! Very good your blog !
Happy Christmas !
Hi Ma'am / Sir, i am interested to settle in Denmark please Guide me, i am Hyderabad , in India.
from, Jerry Jorgensen
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.
I am new at blogging.
Diane did you get this message?
Will be reading your messages.
Comments are closed.